Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Rainy morning

I have just woken up about 30 minutes ago and it is 70 degrees and raining, a stark contrast to the Dallas-area weather, which according to weather.com is 99 degrees, hot and humid. (Sorry to everyone back home, that must really suck). But since it is raining here, my three roommates and I are lounging around doing nothing. That's one thing I will have to adjust to; finding things to do when I'm not too busy studying or doing anything else for that matter.

On Sunday afternoon soon after my parents left, I got invited to a frat party by three (cute) guys. I considered going with my boyfriend, just to see what it was like. But by that night, I had completely forgotten about it.
Sunday night was called "Union Fest", which was a luau-themed party in the student union. It was a lot of fun; there were prizes and coupons that were being given away, and the entire six-floor union was packed with students. But here's the punch-line: one thing I found out about the KU community is that they walk everywhere on campus. I decided to wear my cowboy boots* to this event, unfortunately I had no idea that I would have to walk two miles to get to the union. As if that wasn't enough, I had to walk back to my dorm as well, which resulted in blisters covering my ankles because of the way my boots rubbed against my skin. That was when I learned that I could have taken the KU bus system back. So I learned two things from all of this: always wear proper walking shoes when you know that you are going to be walking for a long time. Second, take advantage of the bus system every once in a while!

Yesterday, I met my roommate (the one that's sleeping in the same room as me) and she is really cool! We are both artistic and she really loves to talk, which I'm used to with my boyfriend. Also, she doesn't snore! Anyway, last night was Traditions Night. We all walked two miles (again) to the football stadium. Luckily, I wore proper shoes this time. At the stadium, we learned about the history behind our chant, our mascot, our "waving the wheat" cheer, and our special clap during the fight song. It was so much fun, and the stadium was beautiful! Afterwards, we walked right outside of the stadium to see a concert by some band whose name has slipped from my mind. Alex and I stayed for a couple of songs and then decided to go back to my dorm via bus and hang out in the common room. It has been such a great couple of days, and unfortunately I still have no pictures. :(

Until next time!

*There was one good thing that came from my cowboy boots that day - a man who was passing out door prize tickets to random people approached me and said, "Since you're wearing cowboy boots, I'm going to give you this door prize ticket!" I went to claim my door prize and got a $10 gift card to get my next hair cut.

2 comments:

  1. SWEET! Sounds like you're off to a good start. By the way, I just found out one of my favorite bands is going to be in Lawrence on October 30. Maybe Wayland and I will go on a ROAD TRIP! And drag you to the concert with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha which band?! That would be pretty awesome if you guys came up here!!

    ReplyDelete