Monday, August 30, 2010

A whole new world of interests.

Well, today was my 8th day of classes, and I am very happy to say that I love every single one of my classes (except for maybe calculus...but I'll get to that later). For those of you who are curious of my schedule, it is as follows: Mondays and Wednesdays require me to rise and shine at 7 in the morning for a 7:35 AM Calculus class. I know, you should be jealous! Usually I drag myself there and then drag myself back to my cozy bed at 9 and take a nap before my English class at 11. My next class after English on Mondays and Wednesdays is theatre, which is from 3 to 5. Tuesdays and Thursdays are much easier on me physically; I have Career Exploration at 9:30 AM and then Psychology at 1. Finally, I am VERY luck to have only one class on Friday, which is my English class!

I hated every single one of my English classes in high school, but so far college English is so much more fun (but still a lot of reading and work). So far, I have read Shakespeare's "Much Ado About Nothing" and right now I am working on reading "Pride and Prejudice". As a side note, I will definitely get around to reading "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" sometime in the near future. Anyway, I have to read five other books besides those this semester, one per week (eeek!!). The good news is, I am looking forward to reading all of these books, and I have already quite enjoyed the first two mentioned above.

Theatre is such a fun class. I did take it for three years in high school, and every time I walk into that class I remember why I love it so much: the people! I've already become well-acquainted with most of the people, and I know I'm going to have a lot of fun! My Career Exploration class has already proven to be very helpful for me, and I just know that I will be able to choose a major by the end of the semester with the help of this class.

My favorite class is psychology, for a number of reasons. One, I have always been interested in how different people are affected by different events, circumstances, genetics, and their brains. Second, I have never been much of a science person, but the physiological aspect of psychology is very interesting to me. I love learning about how the different parts of the brain have developed over time from evolution and how each of those parts specifically affects our actions and thoughts. Third, I love learning about the different experiments that psychologists have performed throughout history, as well as learning about the different pyschological theories that have developed over time. Who knows, maybe a future major? At this point though, I think it's still a bit too early to tell.

I saved my review of Calculus for last. Basically, I already have credit for this class from my AP exam scores in high school, but in June when I was signing up for classes, I thought that maybe I should just retake it because I was afraid college math would be much more difficult than high school math. I was wrong. I am falling asleep in that class (and not because it's at 7:30 in the morning). So now, I need to talk to my advisor to see if I should go up to Calculus II even though I'll be almost two weeks behind. This is the number one dilemma in my life right now, which is actually considerably a pretty good deal!

All in all, I love the college life so far. I'm still working on making friends (which naturally comes hard for me), but I've joined quite a few clubs and I love everyone in all of my classes so it shouldn't be a problem. I should really go to sleep now since I've been up since 7 this morning, so good night all! Until next time! (Pics still to come...eventually :))

No comments:

Post a Comment