Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Expectations: T-minus 4 Days

My wonderful Aunt Laurie suggested that I should start a blog describing my college experiences so that everyone in the family can "live vicariously" through me, so here it is! I wanted to start out by describing what I plan on expecting for the next four years, but that would take a lot of time. Instead, I will just jot down a few of the things that I've been thinking about the most. Speaking of which, there has not been one minute that has passed in my life for the past two months that has not been interrupted by thoughts of college. I have even dreamt about college every single night for the past month or so, and I've gotta say that the dreams are usually nightmares and all of the students are people that went to my high school (I know, scary right?). You might infer that these dreams have just made me more anxious about college, but in fact, I am actually 95 percent freaking out (in a good way) and 5 percent freaking out (in a nervous way).

Oh, and for those of you who don't know, my dorm room is actually a suite that I will be sharing with three other girls. This suite contains two bedrooms, a living room, a walk-in closet, a wet bar, and a bathroom. Here's the floor plan:


Anyway, the thoughts that insist on invading my mind constantly include:
  • Decorating my room. How many posters will I be able to fit on my wall? Will my roommate be creeped out by my obsession with kitten and Tim Burton paraphernalia?
  • Will my suitemates be nice? Will I be able to get along with them immediately?
  • Speaking of which, will my roommate snore? I'm crossing my fingers that the answer is no.
  • Will making new friends come naturally to me, even though I've been shy all my life?
  • How difficult will my classes be? (I'm really dreading this one...)
  • How long will I be homesick, and to what extent will homesickness affect me (or not affect me)?
  • And of course, saying goodbye to my parents. I've lived with them my whole life, and now all of a sudden I will be forced to go without seeing them in person for months at a time. Thank God for Skype!
  • And just what am I supposed to do after my parents leave? I suppose the answer would be to go out and meet people.
What I do know is that most of these worries will be completely put to rest after the first day. I also know that I will have the time of my life, and I will create memories that will last me a life time. I know I will be going through a lot of changes, and I will keep you all updated as much as I can with the latest. Hopefully I will be able to upload some pictures of my dorm room and the campus next week!

I love you all and I will miss you!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, yay! I'm excited you are doing this, and I am TOTALLY going to live vicariously through you. College is so fun! And tough, but in a good way.

    And for my part, I found college nothing like high school. Think of it this way: everyone there, nearly, is starting fresh. Everyone will be experiencing pretty much the same things you are, you know? And that's a great thing: it puts everyone on even ground.

    Have fun with it. You are so totally going to rock college's face off!

    ReplyDelete